Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Late Blog

Blog # 5

Kenny Saechao

Late Entry- I was reviewing my posts (I just got your sisweb message) and found out I forgot to do blog number 5. In hopes of at least getting partial credit I am going to wrap up some thoughts.

Around this time we had just finished Kawamura's reading and the Be Green challenge has come to an end. Finals were coming up and I remember my bank account started dribbling. This was weird because I noticed a bit extra cash ever since this challenge started. I realized that I was becoming very stressed and started eating out a  lot.
This made me think about my food consumption and how this "Be Green" challenge can transcend beyond not only new clothes but even food. This made me think about "freegans", something I just learned about. Apparently they are mainly New Yorkers whom mainly eat food that was going to be thrown away. They save money and waste by eating what others do not want. Some exclaim that people will throw away perfectly good fruit because of a simple blemish. Its interesting to say the least. I can see a lot of people bashing them for being "poor hippie new yorkers" but I come from a poor area and I think this is smart (maybe thats why?). Being green and not consuming things that stem from unfair labor production and commodity chains are bigger than just the clothing/fashion industry. In reality, every market that profit can be made from might if not already will contain some form of unfair labor production. Thinking critically about my life decisions and where EVERYTHING I interact with comes from makes me sort of sad.

Outside source: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/06/magazine/06Squatters-t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

No comments: