Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Journey of Ed Hardy


Andy Le

Blog #6

Inside Source:

Paul Mullowney Ed. “Wood Skin Ink: The Japanese Aesthetic in Modern Tattooing” reader.

Outside Source:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/etcher

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2010/05/ed-hardy-terrible-clothing-company-popular-with-terrible-people-introduces-line-of-condoms.html

http://www.ed-hardy2u.com/

This is the finale and ending of the compact challenge! I have successfully completed the compact challenge without purchasing new clothes. Although I am not shopping, I am still wasting money involuntarily through unexpected expenses such as the tumbler in my car breaking down, which locked my steering and made it impossible for me to start or move my car. Stranded at the corner of Anderson and West Covell at the local Shell gas station for four and a half hour in the blazing heat is not very fun. After getting my car towed to a repair shop in West Sac, I am glad the mechanic only charged me $150. Hopefully, my car will not pull stunts like this in the near future.

This week’s article inspired me to further investigate the infamous designer Don Ed hardy. I personally had no idea that his clothing line stemmed from the Japanese Edo period 1600 -1968. Before his tattooing days, he started out as an etcher. According to Dictionary.com, etching is “to cut, bite, or corrode with an acid or the like; engrave withan acid or the like, as to form a design in furrows that when charged with ink will give an impression on paper.” Before reading this article, the concept of etching was very unfamiliar. In order to introduce this new concept to myself, I watched a video that was very interesting and showed the complexities of etching. It is remarkable and interesting that Hardy utilized his skills in etching and created additional careers for himself such as painting, tattooing, printmaking, and a clothing line that highlights his intricate images. While Japanese art is refined, cultured, simplistic, and subtle, Hardy spins his Asian influences to cater to nonconformist look such as the stereotypical bad boys, hotrods, and biker boys that no parents want their children to hang out with. Looking at his clothing website, one notices the intricate and colorful designs that are similarly depicted in Asian art. However, Hardy chooses to mix Asian inspired creations like the dragon with national American and rebellious images such as eagles and skulls to create a unique twist and fusion of the two cultures. His creative talent does not stop at clothing and art. In 2010, Hardy created a line of sex toys and condoms. While sex in Asian cultures is hardly ever talked about, Hardy’s new creation puts sex and pleasure on the forefront. This enticement and selling of sex in addition to his clothes and art for me, makes Don Ed Hardy’s brand reputable. His empire really demonstrates success and honesty through procreativity and acknowledgement of their Asian inspirations.