Sunday, January 24, 2010

Race/Ethnicity and Textiles

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2352/2229700595_500fece02b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2352/2229700595_500fece02b.jpg

The art that Professor Valverde wrote about seemed like something I could relate to and understand. Chau Huynh’s artwork of the basins with the Vietnamese flag made me think about how predictable the stereotypes we use are. I didn’t think that her artwork was offensive and found it surprising that some Vietnamese-American people thought it was disrespectful. I thought that Huynh’s “Pedicure Basin” evoked thought and challenged the stereotype of Vietnamese people’s association with the manicurist occupation. Classifying the newspaper, “Nguoi Viet Daily” as being communist seemed a little extreme (Valverde, 137). Saying that the art was “dirtying” the Vietnamese flag and claiming to blame the publication of the art, rather than the art itself made me question the motives of the protestors (Valverde, 138). Perhaps there is an underlying issue with the newspaper. I would think that publications of tasteful art would be open to interpretation rather than being labeled as “communist.” I feel as though there are bigger issues to be protesting against, but then again, who am I to say what is worth “fighting” for.

As far as the compact challenge, I have found myself spending less. I’ve been quite busy so going to the mall has not been a priority. Most of my money goes to food and gas.


Week #4

Roxanne Luistro


Sources:
Valverde, Kieu-Linh Caroline, 2008. "Creating Identity, Defining Culture, and Making History from an Art Exhibit: 'Unfinished Story: A Tribute to My Mothers'." Crossroads 19:2. Center for Southeast Asian Studies, Northen Illinois University.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

good. missing outside source. 3/3