Sunday, January 17, 2010

half empty or half full?


Nowadays, it seems rather challenging to identify an object or a matter with its own originality. Especially in the world of Fashion, the remarks of an ethnic dress as having a distinctive trait is questionable yet debatable to the public. Although "the dress for most cultures is a symbol of identity and a basic means of communication among people of commonality," the concept of what is traditional has been impacted by globalization throughout the decades. The influence of modern fashion on cultural aspects and clothing has modified the unique styles that was once created by their Asian ancestors. The way I see it, the national dresses of China, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, and Vietnam consists of many common characteristics. However, this suggests to me that the world suddenly seems kind of boring and full of deceit. I mean, I adore and respect all the beautiful dresses from these Asian countries, especially towards my own culture and ethnic dress ao dai, but it just doesn't seem to be have that same traditional inspirations. Well, if you really think about it, a tradition that you worship and look up to all your life in the spur of the moment becomes a glass half full or half empty, how would you feel? For me, my mind is just overflowing with thoughts as I am in disbelief of the ugly truth. I might even come to a conclusion that the media are to blamed for brainwashing me as proven by the distortions and misconceptions of the images I have perceived. Perhaps the changes to the ethnic dresses are unavoidable due to the mere fact that the fashion cycle is progressing and advancing with the rest of the world. Afterall, consumerism is something we all fall victim of since everyone has common desires and are attention-craved. In any case, it brings us back to the question of which came first, the chicken or the egg?


Blog #3 by Thuy Duong

Works Cited:
Yu, Kim, Lee and Hong. " An analysis of modern fashion designs as influenced by Asian ethnic dress." Class Reader.

No comments: