Sunday, January 10, 2010

Fighting consumerism...sorta.

My name is Amethyst Wang, and I am a shopaholic.

This weekend my roommate and I decided to do what I love most--go shopping. Of course this has to be just after I enroll in this course and realize that I could not purchase anything but socks and underwear. Here's when I learn that the most painful thing for a girl to do is to enter Arden Fair mall, walk into Forever 21 and Urban Outfitters, only to try on but not buy clothes that can seriously add some decor to my favorite room--the walk-in closet.

My roommate had to do a large xmas gift exchange return at Forever 21, and watching her exchange her old tops with new ones killed me. So I took window shopping a little further, picked out some cute clothes, and went into the dressing room for some heart to cloth.

Really though, I'm a shopaholic at heart. A pure consumer since the first moment I entered the shiny glass doors into a shopping mall with my $20/week allowance money. And now, at 22, with my credit cards and cash, consumerism is the only road I take when entering the mall. So I'm really sorry, but I bought something. I couldn't not do it--there was a pair of cigarette pants at Urban that actually fit me, and I'm only 5'4" so it's almost impossible to find a pair that don't go past my ankles for 4 more inches. I understand that being green is the new "thing" to do now, and that being frugal can do a poor college student some good, but honestly how significant is one purchase going to be?

Okay...I did buy the pants in another color as well. I'm sorry! Obviously I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I enrolled in this class. I promise that this weekend will be the last time I shop. And I could have done a lot worse (I did avoid the sale sections, and that's tough, man). I just needed to take some baby steps before I jumped into the challenge...that's all.

This Compact Challenge will be the death of the poor shopaholic inside of me (yes, poor, but willing to give up a couple of meals to buy that perfect pair of boots, or that cute top that hangs so beautifully at Urban). Typically, I buy new clothes once a month, depending on 1. if I'm "visiting" my sister in SF a.k.a. taking a trip to Haight for some vintage shopping, or 2. just craving some new additions to my wardrobe. So this will be the death of a huge part of me.

Again, I'm sorry, and I'll be fighting consumerism starting NOW.

Amethyst Wang
Blog post #1

No comments: