Sunday, June 7, 2009

Fashionable Anti-Consumerism

I’m not sure whether I can say I was successful in the compact challenge or not. I only bought a few things over the past several weeks, but that may have been because I’ve been tight on money. But I did learn a lot – from this challenge, as well as from this class. Now, I’m more aware of my consumerism and wastefulness. I think twice about whether I really need to buy something or not and whether something should really be thrown out or if it has potential with a little work or with another person. I highly doubt that I’ll stop buying new things altogether. After all, how do you reconcile a love for fashion with a wariness for consumerism? I’m not sure what kind of affect this will all have on my fashion-following, but I’m sure there will be changes in my purchasing behaviors. Now that I know more about things like re-working clothing and buying second-hand, I’m sure it will curb my wastefulness.



Anti-consumerism is spreading as the issues behind it are becoming more prevalent in our society. If you look at it as a trend, anti-consumerism could even be considered fashionable. As Kawamura states, “Fashion can be analyzed as a process of collective selection of a few styles from numerous competing alternatives”(Kawamura 102). Fashion is more than just clothing, so if the masses adopt it, things like re-worked clothing could be considered fashionable. Entrepreneurs are already making money off of this idea, and our class has already adopted it.

- Carmel Crisologo

[blog #6]

WORKS CITED

Kawamura, Yuniya. Fashion-ology An Introduction to Fashion Studies (Dress, Body, Culture). New York: Berg, 2005.

No comments: